F.E.P. OUTREACH AND CAMPAIGNS COORDINATOR
Food Empowerment Project is seeking an experienced Volunteer, Local Events and Campaigns Coordinator to join our small but immensely passionate team in the Petaluma area of California. We work to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We encourage choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, the depletion of natural resources, unfair working conditions for produce workers, the unavailability of healthy foods in communities of color and low-income areas, and the importance of not purchasing chocolate that comes from the worst forms of child labor. With more than ten years of vegan food justice advocacy, we proudly define justice in a way that doesn’t leave anyone behind. If you are passionate about veganism, farm worker justice, food access, and other justice issues, please read on.
Reporting to the Operations and Development Director (OED) and working closely with Executive Director, staff, volunteers, and building and continuing relations with communities we work with that will allow F.E.P. to continue to grow and fulfill its mission. At the macro level of the organization, this includes developing and coordinating our current and new campaigns, helping strengthen and promote community initiatives and building our volunteer base. At micro levels, this includes communicating and overseeing volunteers and events, conducting research for new and current campaigns, generate written reports based on research and attending educational speaking engagements.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Providing operational support across all 4 core programs (farm worker rights, veganism, food access, and labor in the global chocolate industry).
- Conducting all work within the values framework set out by the founder to empower those with the fewest resources and not replicate oppressive hierarchies, patriarchy, racism, and classism in our work
- Assist in other events, operations, fundraising work to advance goals of organization
- Work to deepen our membership base.
- Work collaboratively and consistently with others at F.E.P. to define strategic priorities, make decisions about unanticipated opportunities, and manage goals.
- Embody and promote F.E.P. culture and values internally and externally.
- Corresponding with local, national and international volunteers
- Keeping track of volunteers and assigned tasks
- Recruit, maintain and supervise new and current volunteers
- Coordinating local events either to promote program areas or fundraise
- Coordinating logistics for annual school supply drive for the children of farm workers
- Coordinating with Vallejo residents for annual events and other events
- Coordinating benefits
- Develop plans to win our campaigns using research, advocacy, coalition-building, media attention, and grassroots mobilization
- Research and writing reports or other necessary documents
- Create campaign strategy, employ well-honed campaign methodology, and carry out tactics that may include but are not limited to direct action, lobbying and policy advocacy
- Familiarity with advocating at both the grassroots and legislative realm
- Experience and comfort in speaking to students below college level
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Humane education experience
- Deep and clear passion for the specific work that F.E.P. does, and our values, mission, and approach to food justice
- 3 Years of volunteer and campaign experience
- Personal understanding of food justice issues, labor rights, global human rights, and the impact of colonization
- Understanding of the vegan, animal rights, and animal liberation movement
- Demonstrable leadership and planning skills
- Tenacity in completing tasks
- Attention to details
- Strong communication and management skills
- Bilingual in Spanish or Tagalog
- Experience with PR, communications and/or social media
Salary: Maximum: $43,680.00 (hourly to start)
Benefits: Health care, paid vacation, sick and holidays.
Food Empowerment Project is a vegan food justice organization and a registered non-profit 501(c)(3) based in Petaluma, CA. Please review our website, www.foodispower.org, prior to applying.
People of color, women and non-binary folks, immigrants, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) is an ethics-based organization and we are searching for individuals whose ethics and values are similar to our organization’s mission. Please be sure to include in your cover letter how your personal values and practices are parallel with F.E.P.’s overall mission and goals.
Please submit your resume and cover letter detailing why this role is an ideal fit for your experience and passions to email@example.com
You may download the PDF of the above job description here.